Thursday, August 2, 2012

Special Moments

It has been tradition ever since Zachary was a newborn to rock him to sleep at bedtime. This has continued pretty much every night of his little life. He's come to expect it. So when I say it's time for bed, he says "Rocking chair?" Yep, the good ol' rocking chair is where you'll find us saying our bedtime prayers and singing a few songs. "Jesus Loves Me", "Jesus Loves the Little Children", "You are My Sunshine", and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" particularly.

Tonight when I got to the last song, he joined in with me. It was like a little duet. Definitely a special moment for me. I do think that Zach has gotten the Gray music gene. He loves to dance and listen to music. I've even considered getting him his own drum set in the future so he can be like his Uncle Ben and play for the worship team. (I know, I'm setting myself up for a headache, but as long as we get a house with a basement and I can stick them down there, I'll be good. :) I did grow up listening to them being banged on for most of my life.)

After we go through the routine he lays his head on my shoulder and we rock away. Then I switch to cradling him. I love looking at his peaceful face as he starts to doze off. For about 20 minutes I'll rock and then lay him in his bed with his monkey, blanket, and cup. There he'll sleep the whole night through, which I am VERY thankful for.

And there you have it, a special moment that I look forward to every night. It's mama/Zach time during the week and on the weekends Jeff rocks him for his special time. It will never get old!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this. Our little guys are pretty special. The other night when Daniel was up crying I was so frustrated, but I was rocking him in the dark and looked down and could see his sweet little face and for a moment I saw my newborn again. Made me happy. I love my Mommy/Daniel bond.

    ReplyDelete