Monday, August 6, 2012

School

When I would think about putting Zachary into a daycare I was very adament about the fact that I would not. This was my thought even before he was born. I just didn't want that for him and wanted to wait on having him somewhere until it was time for him to go to kindergarten. Looking back, I had the wrong idea about daycares, thinking it was just a babysitting service, which it is, but at my work it's much more because there is a program we follow with activities and learning.

After Zach was born, I had the greatest opportunity to be home with him for the first three months, but then I knew I needed to begin the dreaded job search. Once I found one, which is my current place of employment now, we were blessed to have Jeff's mom watch Zach for a year and a half. I know some days weren't easy, but it saved a lot of heartache for me knowing that he was safe and in a loving environment with family I trusted.

Fast forward to last December when it came time for Laura to step back. It was getting to be too much with two toddlers running around. That's when we looked into Zach coming to my work. Yes, I worked in a daycare/preschool but didn't want to bring him with me at first for different reasons.

It turns out that this was the best option. I prayed about it for weeks and finally realized it was the right decision. If I didn't want him to be watched by anyone else then what more perfect place for him than to come to work with me AND learn?! I knew he would be in a safe place and with teachers I trusted.

I remember that first day dropping him off...I told myself not to cry because I knew he would. And he did. I remember hearing him through the wall and it broke my heart. But I knew he would be okay. It was just a new environment and he had to get used to it. Pluse I knew that his teacher, my friend Lori, would take great care of him because she told me she would and she's a wonderful teacher.

It only took a month or so for him to get used to the routine. When I would go in to pick him up at the end of the day he'd run up to me and say "Mama!" I was so happy that he was happy to see me. And he knew that he would always see me at the end of the day.

After about three months of being there I noticed a change in Zach. It was a small one at first and has gradually gotten bigger. He talks more. He talks in sentences. He uses manners. He knows how to work nicely. His vocabulary has expanded so much! He has learned so much from being in the classroom since 18 months. He looks forward to going to school and loves everything they do. Even on the weekends he says "I go to school" and I remind him that in a couple days we will.

I'm so happy with where he's at developmentally. I know he's happy too. He loves seeing his friends and teachers. I love seeing him throughout the day and knowing he's happy. It makes me rest easy knowing that we're in the same building and he's with me at work.

I'm also so happy with his character and the loving boy he is. When I walk in to pick him up at the end of the day he goes around and gives each friend a hug and a kiss. Then he'll wave and say bye. He truly does care for the others.

Yes, I would love to be a stay at home mom. Maybe someday. But right now, Zach and I are both where God wants us to be and I'm okay with that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment